SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

Photo

A thought about a possible big trade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#1 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Ok I know im going to get a lot of crap for this. I do not know if I want this to happen its just a thought i had and wanted to see what you guys thought. What if shero doesnt think he can or will not spend the money to resign Letang, and decides he wants to trade him away at the deadline for a top flight forward, and or a replacement D-man. I mean no one wants to see letang go, i feel he means more to the team than crosby and malkin. But maybe with Despres and Bortuzzo playing well, Martin has turned his career around. Orpik is always solid, and Nisky fits in nicely anywhere, not to mention Morrow/doumlin/harrington, who could be on the Pens next year as well. Would it be to crazy to think Shero might ship him away for some extra cap space and a Top winger maybe even an extra 1st or 2nd round pick. I would hate to see Letang leave. But can you imagine the return we would get for him. Does anyone think this is possible?

#2 dlols64

dlols64

1st openly heterosexual PPMB poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Its not impossible but is highly unlikely. Letang has a season left of his contract and you probably aren't going to find a player at $3.5 million that will help the team out as much as Letang.

If Letang is going to be traded it will be this offseason. If he wants a Doughty or Weber type contract I hope they do trade him. You could probably get two NHLers and a prospect/1st rounder for him.

Letang is overrated IMO (ermagerd! I know). All this Norris talk would be ridiculous if the Norris was actually awarded properly. Last season says it isn't though. Letang is really good, but he isn't great... if it comes down to the Penguins being able to keep either him or Malkin I would go with Geno 11 times out of 10. Letang is an offensive defenseman that scores 40 to 50 points a season and can't QB a PP for much, he is overrated defensively... Geno is in the discussion for the best player in the league... no brainer IMO.

photo-1323.jpg?_r=1362027001

Missing since October 2013: If you have any information of Tephan's whereabouts please contact me through PM. A reward of 4 likes is curently posted for anyone who can bring him home!

I will remember you.. :(

#3 GenoGronk7111

GenoGronk7111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

It's a bit of a stretch, but would I be "shocked" if Shero thought it would helped the team and pulled the trigger on such a deal, no, unexpected, yes.

#4 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

ya, i really dont think it would be that bad of an idea, but who you think they would get for him, because i would like to believe there isnt a team who wouldnt want him.

#5 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

It's a bit of a stretch, but would I be "shocked" if Shero thought it would helped the team and pulled the trigger on such a deal, no, unexpected, yes.

I was just thinking since you never know what shero will do? I mean the Pens were not even spoken of when trading for Hossa, he is a sneaky GM. haha

#6 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

He'd probably have to get two top 4 NHL defensemen and a top 6 winger for it to be worth it now... and they would all have to be good. I doubt there would be many GMs lining up for a trade like that in this season.

The team is lacking a top 6 forward and a top two pairing defenseman... if they trade Letang they's be minus another top defenseman.

Missing since October 2013: If you have any information of Tephan's whereabouts please contact me through PM. A reward of 4 likes is curently posted for anyone who can bring him home!

#7 sniperneal18

sniperneal18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think this will play out similar to Staal, that is if Letang doesn't want to extend his contract at the end of this season. No way would I trade him this season because the young guys are still need a year or so to be ready. Now, that being said, I would certainly dangle his name out at the end of this season to see what market their would be for him. I like Letang and think he brings a lot to the table but at some point this team needs to stop dishing out top dollar contracts or we will find ourselves with 4 great players and 16 bums.

#8 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

He'd probably have to get two top 4 NHL defensemen and a top 6 winger for it to be worth it now... and they would all have to be good. I doubt there would be many GMs lining up for a trade like that in this season.

The team is lacking a top 6 forward and a top two pairing defenseman... if they trade Letang they's be minus another top defenseman.

This could be like when Bruins traded Kessel. Get a few draft picks, but we can get a top 4 defender, and a top 6 winger. Idk if it would be a step back, seeing what we would get in return, it could be a bonus?

#9 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

This could be like when Bruins traded Kessel. Get a few draft picks, but we can get a top 4 defender, and a top 6 winger. Idk if it would be a step back, seeing what we would get in return, it could be a bonus?

Yeah that trade happened during the offseason. You don't too often see teams that are in contention (or at least under the delusion they are) trading away star players in the middle of the season.

Letang will be offered a contract this offseason, hopefully after Geno has already signed his. And Shero will go from there based on Letang's decision. Personally I kind of hope he turns it down... I am excited to see the return they could get on him. He is a good player but if they could trade him and make the team better rounded I am all for it.

If Geno signed long term and Letang signs on at 6 per season the Penguins might have to look into trading MAF and hoping to just keep picking up proven cheap vets like TVo... not sure thats a road I would want them to go down.

#10 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

is he a UFA or RFA?

#11 M_i_B

M_i_B

Awful Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,279 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Why do so many people think that Bortuzzo is a replacement for Letang?

#12 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

is he a UFA or RFA?

Letang and Geno would both be UFA after next season if a deal wasn't reached.

#13 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Why do so many people think that Bortuzzo is a replacement for Letang?

I do not think he is a replacemnet, honestly i think despres, will be or next year, morrow. I am just saying he is a good player, and the play we get from him makes this move a bit easier is all.

#14 Dontforget21

Dontforget21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Letang and Geno would both be UFA after next season if a deal wasn't reached.

oh well then yes i agree i can see letang be traded before the draft this year, and i will love to see what our return will be.

Shero is known for holding on to the last to the players he believes to be cornerstones of the future for the franchise (I count Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang in this list). He only lets them go if they openly want out. And then he trades them away practically for nothing.

Using Staal's case as a sample, I believe he will do his utmost to resign him in the off-season, and if Tanger firmly refuses - he'll trade him elsewhere for a 5-6th D-man, a couple of AHL'ers and a draft pick, which he in turn will use to draft a d-man that would be available for Pens no sooner than 2023.

The players you just named, why would any GM try to re-sign all of them? Those players are exactly what a GM wants? But when money becomes an issue and you have PLENTY depth in your system on defense. Along with a few of them ready for larger roles. why not trade away one to improve your Offensive needs?

#15 Bash-Brother

Bash-Brother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Its not impossible but is highly unlikely. Letang has a season left of his contract and you probably aren't going to find a player at $3.5 million that will help the team out as much as Letang.

If Letang is going to be traded it will be this offseason. If he wants a Doughty or Weber type contract I hope they do trade him. You could probably get two NHLers and a prospect/1st rounder for him.

Letang is overrated IMO (ermagerd! I know). All this Norris talk would be ridiculous if the Norris was actually awarded properly. Last season says it isn't though. Letang is really good, but he isn't great... if it comes down to the Penguins being able to keep either him or Malkin I would go with Geno 11 times out of 10. Letang is an offensive defenseman that scores 40 to 50 points a season and can't QB a PP for much, he is overrated defensively... Geno is in the discussion for the best player in the league... no brainer IMO.

+1 for you, sir. Letang is a steal right now at $3.5 million because he is solid in his own zone and more than a viable threat from the blue line. He is by no means as effective in his own zone as a Shea Weber or a Zedno Chara and, as you said, probably only gets mentioned in the Norris discussion because of his offensive production. I don't know that I will ever forget the giveaway to Giroux in the first ever game at Consol. Mistakes such as that are the exception rather than the rule of his game, but my point is that his mistakes are generally memorable. My interest in keeping him wanes after about $5.5-5.75 million per. My interest in keeping him at the expense of losing Malkin is non-existent.

#16 denislemieux-1

denislemieux-1

Opinions can, in fact, be wrong.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Shero is known for holding on to the last to the players he believes to be cornerstones of the future for the franchise (I count Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang in this list). He only lets them go if they openly want out. And then he trades them away practically for nothing.

He is "known for" that? When, exactly, has he done what you describe?

#17 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

He is "known for" that? When, exactly, has he done what you describe?

He is apparently calling the Staal trade a bust... despite the fact that about a day old.

#18 odiumutis

odiumutis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I just completely agree with another poster above: Shero is on the track to assembling a team of 4 super-expensive (super)stars, an overrated and overpaid G (MAF), and 15 total nobodies for 500k each.

I believe this is stupid.

I agree - let's trade Crosby.

#19 themovielife

themovielife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Oh Chedu. You just made me laugh out loud and someone came into my office to see what I was laughing at.

products_3890_0_banner.jpg

#20 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Oh Chedu. You just made me laugh out loud and someone came into the kitchen to see what I was laughing at.

FYP

:lol: :P

Founding Partners CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark