Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

Photo

Pens TV Ratings Juggernauts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Izigaul

Izigaul

King of the Triple Play

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

http://triblive.com/...l#axzz2L76nPEQ0

The Penguins have created a new reality for regional television.
From Erie to the Ohio border, though Morgantown, W.Va., and toward Altoona, about 357,000 people on average have watched Penguins games broadcast on Root Sports Pittsburgh since the NHL returned in late January.
No United States' NHL market had done better with its local club.
The Penguins' overall regional television rating — games broadcast on NBC, NBC Sports Network and/or Root Sports Pittsburgh — generated an 11.9 average, best for any NHL or NBA team.
“It's important for us to have high TV ratings because it tells us hockey is becoming more embedded in the culture,” Penguins CEO David Morehouse said.
The Penguins' regional TV ratings also were highest for NHL and NBA teams last season, and they are doing it again after a 119-day lockout.
Regional TV ratings have risen steadily from their 2.5 average since a lockout wiped out the 2004-05 season. The Penguins' quick transformation from bottom-five (2005-06) to Stanley Cup champion (2008-09) contributed to the initial spike, but with only one playoff series win over the last three springs the recent surge is an indication of regional brand resonance, Morehouse said.
“What also stands out to me is the width and depth of the Penguin fan,” Root Sports Pittsburgh general manager Shawn McClintock said. “It's really an almost level demographic in terms of age and gender on a nightly basis.”
The Buffalo Sabres were also off to a strong regional TV ratings start this season, with an average of 10.1. Rounding out Nielsen's top five: Boston (7.0), St. Louis (5.0) and Chicago (4.9).
Total approximate viewers is measured by multiplying the rating by 12,000 and multiplying that total by 2.5 — the average number of TV viewers in a U.S. household.
The Penguins had produced a double-digit rating in 12 consecutive games broadcast on Root Sports Pittsburgh. That shattered the previous best mark, four in a row, set in December 2010 prior to the Winter Classic at Heinz Field.
Morehouse repeatedly has said his organizational objective is to grow hockey as a sport throughout the region. The Penguins have put their financial and organizational muscle behind youth hockey and also pushed the sport at the collegiate level.
McClintock, whose company is contracted to broadcast Penguins games through 2029, said his aim is to educate casual fans.
A new Root Sports Pittsburgh studio includes an 80-inch hi-def monitor that serves as a Telestrator for Jay Caulfield, a former Penguins player. Another former Penguin, color commentator Bob Errey, is directed to “explain why something just happened to the audience,” McClintock said.
Morehouse lauded Root Sports Pittsburgh's focus on other NHL teams during broadcasts.
“It's not just about the Penguins,” Morehouse said. “It's about the NHL in general and hockey more broadly.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/...l#ixzz2LfGRPnME
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

"Let's grind these ******* down here eh!" - Coach Dan Bylsma
@chadaking ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  ▲
▲ ▲ TRIFORCE! You Jelly? ಠ_ಠ | ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
,___,
[O.o] - o rly?
/)__)
-"--"-
Take care, spike your hair. WWWYKI!

TRU BROH

#2 lnauer95

lnauer95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

[quote name='Izigaul' timestamp='1361567428' post='322713']
http://triblive.com/...l#axzz2L76nPEQ0
[/quote

For the Love Of Alby Oxenreitter....Roots Sports sucks! Ya know why.....Those 2 idiots Steigerwald and Errey sound like a couple of stoned college kids calling a game....They are excruciating. THOSE 2 ARE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!! Is it not a horrible irony that Mike Lange..the voice of the Penguins.... is confined to the radio?????....And Jay Caulfield in between periods...............?..............What a test of endurance.....What in hell does Jay Caulfield know about hockey? Do you guys know how bad he sucked? He was not even a good goon...I don't remember him winning many fights?

#3 Izigaul

Izigaul

King of the Triple Play

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I am not happy about ROOT sports. I was mainly informing everyone that the Pens, led by Cindy taint puncher secondary assist Crysby is killing it in ratings in the Pittsburgh.

@chadaking ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  ▲
,___,
[O.o] - o rly?
/)__)
-"--"-

TRU BROH

#4 Barrasso

Barrasso

sweet swedish fish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Be happy you have something you ungrateful bastards!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Swedish_fish.png

"If you're not cheating, you ain't trying" - Larry Murphy 

Barrasso on twitter

#5 lnauer95

lnauer95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I am not happy about ROOT sports. I was mainly informing everyone that the Pens, led by Cindy taint puncher secondary assist Crysby is killing it in ratings in the Pittsburgh.

DUDE! I am super critical of the Penguins.....But I really like Sid Crosby! Why do you hack on him.......He comes to play every night....He passes too much like the rest of them....So what if he crys....Who in hell does not? Remember Kevin Stevens? He was worshipped around here and he NEVER shut the F--k up!

#6 LordBayfin

LordBayfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

DUDE! I am super critical of the Penguins.....But I really like Sid Crosby! Why do you hack on him.......He comes to play every night....He passes too much like the rest of them....So what if he crys....Who in hell does not? Remember Kevin Stevens? He was worshipped around here and he NEVER shut the F--k up!

I Am super critical about ur dumb posts...They never make any sense.

#7 Izigaul

Izigaul

King of the Triple Play

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I know being a ****** you might have a hard time understanding sarcasm...

@chadaking ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  ▲
,___,
[O.o] - o rly?
/)__)
-"--"-

TRU BROH

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark