Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

Photo

Bylsma needs to go.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
267 replies to this topic

#201 Artie21

Artie21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBillerica, MA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

So what's the weather like in Philadelphia today?

What? are you okay buddy? That was one little argument on how Bylsma gets outcoached and that was one example against a new coach in the NHL. I hate everything about Philly i was just saying how he even gets outcoached vs new coaches in the NHL and on his home ice. 

#202 Black_Yellow

Black_Yellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

I thought the purpose of hiring Martin was to coach up the team to be more responsible defensively.  Did Dan put him in the corner and tell him to sit there with his finger in his nose?  I think if you look at most great coaches/teachers they craft a system or way to play/learn to the group they have in front of them, they don't force players to no play to their strengths.  This team is lazy with the puck, lazy passes, their breakouts are god awful, turnovers in their own zone and the neutral zone.  The only line that plays with a passion and will go in and fight for the puck is the 4th, the only line mostly untouched all year.  Malkin is lazy and reminds me of Randy Moss (ie...he takes plays off from time to time).  This team needs more Vitale's who fight and scrap for evey puck.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. To me this isn't about wins, losses, or playoff failures. The problem is there seems to be no passion, no sign of a work ethic, even the way they handle/make decisions with the puck their makes it like they lack hockey sense. I understand that nights like this happens they are all human beings (they're sick dont feel good ect.) it just happens. But this team- its game after game after game after game, oh It gotta be the plague and it's here to stay!    

I think the frustrating thing for fans is watching a team full of stars being paid top dollar so mentally fragile. Forget the losses (I don't believe thats its just the losses)- when you're paying a steep price to go to a game and their just out there floating around playing the way like I said above, and they don't care? Is the coach the problem? the players? 

After reading what LoveJoy had to say about the system here in a recent article and the Mikhalik(sp) departure (he hated Bylsmas idea of defense too) I have to guess its the coach. Maybe the players are frustrated with it, not Bylsma himself (the players seem to like him, which can't be a productive working relationship imo) but his style of of play is maybe not popular among the team and they are forcing things on the ice.

#203 Tonic2

Tonic2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

You aren' t really THAT dumb, are you?

Just in case you are: we are talking here about FOUR YEARS of consistent failure in playoffs and even in regular season against good teams.

Final 4 is failure?

#204 hellawaits77

hellawaits77

Opinions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

What? are you okay buddy? That was one little argument on how Bylsma gets outcoached and that was one example against a new coach in the NHL. I hate everything about Philly i was just saying how he even gets outcoached vs new coaches in the NHL and on his home ice.

Don't worry about that character. Anytime someone has an opinion that differs from his, he rips/belittles them. Does it to everybody.

#205 Tonic2

Tonic2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

A forward that shoots the puck hard but can' t hit the back of the net = a good forward?

The teacher that says all the right things but none of the students listens to him = a good teacher?

A doctor that knows all the books on medicine but can't perform a basic surgery = a good doctor?

Logic?

A forward that shoots the puck hard but can't hit the back of the net = a player problem

The teacher that says (and teaches) all the right things but the students aren't listening = a player problem

Doctor's record in 5 years = One Stanley Cup, one Jack Adams and a final 4 appearance.

I believe he has the basics down just fine.

Maybe just maybe his players need to stop dissappearing when it counts most.

Logic?

#206 hellawaits77

hellawaits77

Opinions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. To me this isn't about wins, losses, or playoff failures. The problem is there seems to be no passion, no sign of a work ethic, even the way they handle/make decisions with the puck their makes it like they lack hockey sense. I understand that nights like this happens they are all human beings (they're sick dont feel good ect.) it just happens. But this team- its game after game after game after game, oh It gotta be the plague and it's here to stay!    

I think the frustrating thing for fans is watching a team full of stars being paid top dollar so mentally fragile. Forget the losses (I don't believe thats its just the losses)- when you're paying a steep price to go to a game and their just out there floating around playing the way like I said above, and they don't care? Is the coach the problem? the players? 

After reading what LoveJoy had to say about the system here in a recent article and the Mikhalik(sp) departure (he hated Bylsmas idea of defense too) I have to guess its the coach. Maybe the players are frustrated with it, not Bylsma himself (the players seem to like him, which can't be a productive working relationship imo) but his style of of play is maybe not popular among the team and they are forcing things on the ice.

winkandthegun-1.png

#207 vice1984

vice1984

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

I believe the lack of passion and work ethic comes from Db trying to be everyones buddy. Look at the practice footage. All joking around and laughing all the time. Mustache boy, and wiffle ball?  How about making these guys shoot at the net for an hour a day? If you know that the coach is never going to get in your face and never discipline you for your mistakes, how hard are you going to work to get better?

#208 Canadian_Pens_Fan

Canadian_Pens_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • LocationCapital Region of the People's Republic of Canada (or, Ottawa)

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

I believe the lack of passion and work ethic comes from Db trying to be everyones buddy. Look at the practice footage. All joking around and laughing all the time. Mustache boy, and wiffle ball?  How about making these guys shoot at the net for an hour a day? If you know that the coach is never going to get in your face and never discipline you for your mistakes, how hard are you going to work to get better?

Hold on, though.

There is nothing at ALL wrong with the boys having moustache boy and whiffle ball shenanigans going on. That builds commaderie. Builds moral. These are good things.  Sure, whiffle ball on the ice was a bad idea but off the ice? Absolutely not. However, Neal could have gotten injured kicking the soccer ball around in the hallway before the game. These things happen. Christ, Giroux got injured playing gold at a charity tournament or something. To be fair, he's an asshat but whatever. Team building things like this are essential.

BUT .. it seems like there are all these team / moral building things and no accountability. Thats the problem. Dan SHOULD be a friend to these guys. He is their coach but he isnt their master. He has to teach them the game but the players need to be comfortable with him and not think he's a **** all the time. There is a fine line a coach has to walk. Would you rather have Mike Keenan where after 3 months, every player hates him?  You want your coach to coach when its time and "be there" for his players when its time.

Darknessdescends hates Metallica! He's the son of the Devil. He's a liar, a cheat and he causes disenchantment and unrest at every turn. Other than that he's a great guy.

#209 vice1984

vice1984

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hold on, though.

There is nothing at ALL wrong with the boys having moustache boy and whiffle ball shenanigans going on. That builds commaderie. Builds moral. These are good things.  Sure, whiffle ball on the ice was a bad idea but off the ice? Absolutely not. However, Neal could have gotten injured kicking the soccer ball around in the hallway before the game. These things happen. Christ, Giroux got injured playing gold at a charity tournament or something. To be fair, he's an asshat but whatever. Team building things like this are essential.

BUT .. it seems like there are all these team / moral building things and no accountability. Thats the problem. Dan SHOULD be a friend to these guys. He is their coach but he isnt their master. He has to teach them the game but the players need to be comfortable with him and not think he's a **** all the time. There is a fine line a coach has to walk. Would you rather have Mike Keenan where after 3 months, every player hates him?  You want your coach to coach when its time and "be there" for his players when its time.

I have to respectfully disagree. These players are together on the ice and on roadtrips all year. That should be enough to build comradery. I also don't agree that Dan has to be their friend. They are not little leaguers. They are grown men being paid millions of dollars to do their job. When they don't perform, the coach needs to address that. Maybe he has to raise his voice and get in their face, maybe he has to bench them for a few shifts.  I'm not saying he needs to be like Mike Keanan, but there needs to be less fun and games and more attention to detail.

#210 Shibboeth

Shibboeth

Not Living Up To My Contract

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,303 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Well, his trades arent so hot either. Hossa? Staal for Sutter and a couple guys cant crack the line up on a consistent basis? What about last season's love boat tour where he disrupted team chemistry to give some guys the ride of a lifetime?

Lets not talk about his fiscal mismanagement, handing Letang a long term contract he's not shown he's capable of earning? That contract is the what is holding the team back from making any moves to kick start the team right now - it wasnt necessary and certainly not earned.

Shero's a genius.

EDIT: Oh, and the creme de la creme: extending DB after the repeat of a team and system wide meltdown two playoff years in a row.

In your attempt to villainize Shero you are overplaying your cards. Hossa was a fine trade. He played very well for the team and after he left Shero used that space to bring in a some quality players that put us over the top to win the cup.

Brandon Sutter was a fine trade for Shero. Staal wasn't a huge loss and by making that trade he did exactly what you are complaining about him not doing. He got rid of an overpriced 3rd line center for a solid affordable center and in the process cleared up some cap space.

I agree that Letang's contract is too long and too much. In time it may seem like money well spent but it is hard to tell at this point. The salary cap should go up a fair amount next season. As of right now he is in a pay grade with players such as Brian Campbell, Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, and Shea Weber and he has to perform as such. It will be interesting to see this coming year what the price point is on some of these D men coming up for contract negotiations. 

#211 Canadian_Pens_Fan

Canadian_Pens_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

In your attempt to villainize Shero you are overplaying your cards. Hossa was a fine trade. He played very well for the team and after he left Shero used that space to bring in a some quality players that put us over the top to win the cup.

Brandon Sutter was a fine trade for Shero. Staal wasn't a huge loss and by making that trade he did exactly what you are complaining about him not doing. He got rid of an overpriced 3rd line center for a solid affordable center and in the process cleared up some cap space.

I agree that Letang's contract is too long and too much. In time it may seem like money well spent but it is hard to tell at this point. The salary cap should go up a fair amount next season. As of right now he is in a pay grade with players such as Brian Campbell, Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, and Shea Weber and he has to perform as such. It will be interesting to see this coming year what the price point is on some of these D men coming up for contract negotiations. 

This is the problem with people. They try to hate so much that they put on their blinders and become drones to their own dumbassery.

There was nothing wrong with the Hossa trade. We lost very little and got a great return. Sure, Hossa not signing stung a bit but thats the chance you take. He DID play well for us while he was here and thats all you can ask. Also .. we got Dat Cat, which turned out pretty well.

Had Staal accepted the $6mil contract, the same people who are whining about trading him for "nothing" would be the same people crying that the contract was too much for Stall. Shero could have lost Staal for nothing but he didnt. He got a decent 3rd line center at a good cap hit and solid prospect and a 1st round pick. What else could he have possibly done when his hands were tied? Staal basically said he didnt want to stay here. Shero could have gotten absolutely fleeced. Luckily, he was dealing with Rutherford who seems hell bent on running the Canes into the ground. Shero got a great return for a guy who isnt worth the money he is getting and kept open cap space on his own team.

The jury is still out on this one. While I do think the contract sucks and I believe it will come back to bite them in the donkey, as of right now, Letang is making $3.5mil and for that price, meh, he's fine. I have no problem with it.

Darknessdescends hates Metallica! He's the son of the Devil. He's a liar, a cheat and he causes disenchantment and unrest at every turn. Other than that he's a great guy.

#212 denislemieux-1

denislemieux-1

Opinions can, in fact, be wrong.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Lets not talk about his fiscal mismanagement, handing Letang a long term contract he's not shown he's capable of earning? That contract is the what is holding the team back from making any moves to kick start the team right now - it wasnt necessary and certainly not earned.

How is Kris Letang's contract holding them back from making moves right now?

I can think of three or four other things holding them back, but not Letang's contract. 

How much does Kris Letang make this year?

Your hyperbole is out of control.

#213 Canadian_Pens_Fan

Canadian_Pens_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

How is Kris Letang's contract holding them back from making moves right now?

I can think of three or four other things holding them back, but not Letang's contract. 

How much does Kris Letang make this year?

Shhh dont use logic. Use scotch.

Im sure she'll try to backtrack to try and save face and say that she meant for the future and NOT this year. But we know ... *burp**hiccup*

#214 dlols64

dlols64

1st openly heterosexual PPMB poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts
  • Locationa few inches to the left

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

Letang's contract is pretty ugly. He is one of those players who is always going to project better than he actually is. The guy is 26 years old and has played nealy 500 games in the NHL and people expect that he is one day going to just turn into Paul Coffey for some reason.

Throughtout his career he has shown he can be fantastic... for about a stretch of 25-30 games during a season... and mediocre to downright horrible otherwise. That is who he is and probably always will be.

Right now he is horrible. Around January he will start getting 2 points a game and all the people that think he is worth the $ will start jumping around and doing their cellies about it... then he will be mediocre down the stretch and then the playoffs will come around and he will start playing like **** and get hot headed and take dumb penalities.

I watch a lot of chick flicks.

#215 Skillman

Skillman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. These players are together on the ice and on roadtrips all year. That should be enough to build comradery. I also don't agree that Dan has to be their friend. They are not little leaguers. They are grown men being paid millions of dollars to do their job. When they don't perform, the coach needs to address that. Maybe he has to raise his voice and get in their face, maybe he has to bench them for a few shifts.  I'm not saying he needs to be like Mike Keanan, but there needs to be less fun and games and more attention to detail.

I agree. I am in management. It is not in hockey, but managing people is basically the same in every field. It is not my job to be their friend, same as it is not DB's job to be their friend. You must be respected, and I do believe Dan is respected by his players. The bottom line is he does not have what it takes to manage his employees and use them to their full ability. I do not believe he is a good coach. He is consistently out coached and does not have the ability to match lines or come up with a good game plan. Last night Pierre asked him what he needs to do to wake the team up, his reply was I don't think we need to wake them up. That is not leadership. That is not what a coach should be saying when he has many players not doing their job. 

It is time for a change. I don't care that Shero is the asst GM of the Olympic team or any of that. It matters not. 

On the Penguins bandwagon for 30+ years...Howard Stern Superfan 

#216 Canadian_Pens_Fan

Canadian_Pens_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm in management as well and my people know that while I will come down on them if their duties arent done, they can also come to me as a person/friend if need be.

I have helped many an employee through some difficult times (be it professionally or personally) and that has prompted much better working relationships because of that. Those employees would go above and beyond for myself, the team, and the company because you nurture a healthy environment.

Any time I have seen a manager who was "all work all the time, no matter what" were the one's that never got 100% from their employees.

#217 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am in management as well. But I am only there for the paychecks. I couldn't give a **** what anyone else does! I just bring the lulz to the place. Everyone loves me. They are all my friends.

#218 Hänkey

Hänkey

Wot?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,663 posts
  • LocationInternational

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

You should be a youth coordinator.

#219 dlols64

dlols64

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

You should be a youth coordinator.

Not legally allowed.

#220 Skillman

Skillman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'm in management as well and my people know that while I will come down on them if their duties arent done, they can also come to me as a person/friend if need be.

I have helped many an employee through some difficult times (be it professionally or personally) and that has prompted much better working relationships because of that. Those employees would go above and beyond for myself, the team, and the company because you nurture a healthy environment.

Any time I have seen a manager who was "all work all the time, no matter what" were the one's that never got 100% from their employees.

Absolutely...that is part of the job. I have done the same many times. I imagine you would also agree that anyone who manages people that does not have what it takes to utilize his employees and does not manage whatever workplace you are in, will not last. If you cannot get the results, someone else will.

On the Penguins bandwagon for 30+ years...Howard Stern Superfan 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark