The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark
" "
The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

Photo

Offseason thread

:D

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#1 JRS91

JRS91

Why People Hate the Pens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

2017-2018 Salary Ceiling: $73,000,000
Projected Cap Spending: $60,050,833
Projected Cap Space: $3,280,000

Pittsburgh Penguins

Forwards

Jake Guentzel ($0.734M) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700M) / Conor Sheary ($3.000M)
Bryan Rust ($0.640M)  / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500M) / Phil Kessel ($6.800M)
Carl Hagelin ($4.000M) / Carter Rowney ($0.612M)  / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250M)

Tom Kunhackl ($0.625M) / Scott Wilson ($0.625M) / Ryan Reaves ($1.125M)

Josh Archibald ($0.675M)

Defense

Kris Letang ($7.250M) / Brian Dumoulin ($4.100M)
Ian Cole ($2.100M) / Justin Schultz ($5.500M)

Olli Maatta ($4.083M) / Matt Hunwick ($2.250M)

Chad Ruhwedel ($0.650M) Derrick Pouliot ($0.800M)

Goalies

Matt Murray ($3.750M)
Antti Niemi ($0.700M)

Unrestricted Free Agents

Mark Streit ($5.250M) - Signed with the Montreal Canadiens. 

Chris Kunitz ($3.725M) - Signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning. 

Trevor Daley ($3.300M) - Signed with the Detroit Red Wings.

Ron Hainsey ($2.833M) - Signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs. 

Nick Bonino ($1.900M) - Signed with the Nashville Predators.

Matt Cullen ($1.000M) - Signed with the Minnesota Wild.

Chad Ruhwedel ($0.575M) - Re-signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Restricted Free Agents

Justin Schultz ($1.400M) - Re-signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

Derrick Pouliot ($0.863M) - Re-signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Brian Dumoulin ($0.800M) - Re-signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Oskar Sundqvist ($0.700M) - Traded to the St.Louis Blues for Ryan Reaves.

Conor Sheary ($0.667M) - Re-signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Josh Archibald ($0.659M) - Re-signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

#2 Stanislav21

Stanislav21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:15 PM

2015-2016 Salary Ceiling: $73,000,000

So we're back to the future?

I wonder if any of the UFAs (like Kunitz, Cullen, Bonino, Daley ... maybe even Hainsey) are willing to come back cheapish.

I'd hope to keep Dumoulin, Sundqvist, and Archibald around.  Sheary and Schultz are fine, but only at a good price.

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus!

#3 Coop-Cooper

Coop-Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationBeers Garden

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:16 PM

We're back in 2015-16?

I don't think Johnston is the answer at coach, bros.

"Dude!"

#4 JRS91

JRS91

Why People Hate the Pens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

I fixed it. 

#5 BuffaloKnight

BuffaloKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

Unrestricted Free Agents

Mark Streit ($5.250M)

Chris Kunitz ($3.725M)

Trevor Daley ($3.300M)

Ron Hainsey ($2.833M)

Nick Bonino ($1.900M)

Matt Cullen ($1.000M)

I will start with the unrestricted free agents.  

Kunitz, Daley, and Bonino are worth re-signing.  

Streit and Hainsey, having won their first Stanley Cup championship, are nearing the end of their careers.  They were playoff rentals.  Streit will likely retire.  I would not mind Hainsey staying around if the Penguins need veteran depth on defense.  

Cullen has had an excellent career.  He can retire a winner.  If he wants to come back, that is up to him and the Penguins.  The Penguins will need to move on to younger members who can pick up where Cullen leaves off.

#6 Izigaul

Izigaul

Ghostler Youth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,854 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:18 AM

I think we are going to lose Daley and Shultz. That's gonna suck.

@chadaking ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  ▲
▲ ▲ TRIFORCE! You Jelly? ಠ_ಠ | ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
,___,
[O.o] - o rly?
/)__)
-"--"-

TRU BROH

#7 JRS91

JRS91

Why People Hate the Pens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

I will start with the unrestricted free agents.  

Kunitz, Daley, and Bonino are worth re-signing.  

Streit and Hainsey, having won their first Stanley Cup championship, are nearing the end of their careers.  They were playoff rentals.  Streit will likely retire.  I would not mind Hainsey staying around if the Penguins need veteran depth on defense.  

Cullen has had an excellent career.  He can retire a winner.  If he wants to come back, that is up to him and the Penguins.  The Penguins will need to move on to younger members who can pick up where Cullen leaves off.

I agree on everything besides Kunitz.

I like Chris Kunitz, he's played a lot better than I thought he would. That being said, he's going to be 38 years old before next season. He's won four Stanley Cups, three of them with the Penguins. He's been with this team for 8 years now, it's time to move on.

I appreciate everything he's done, he's just too slow for this team. I like the fact that he's still physical and he's definitely better than he was two years ago when people were asking his contract be bought out. He's not getting any younger though or faster. He's had a good run with this team, I could see another team giving him a chance but I think it's either a one year deal with the Penguins or retirement. I'd prefer retirement, then again that's not my decision. 

I'd personally re-sign Schultz to a four or five year deal, somewhere between $4.5M and $5M annually. Then work on a three or four year deal with Dumoulin worth $3.3M to $3.750M annually. I'd protect those two along with Letang and of course ten forwards and a goalie. I like Maatta, but he's been bad. He just gets caught flat-footed too many times and Schultz fits the team better in my opinion. Now there's a chance Maatta doesn't get picked up by Las Vegas, if so then I'd let Daley go (As good as he's been). If Maatta is picked up by Las Vegas, then I wouldn't mind see Daley back for one or two years at around $3.750M a season.

I'd like to see Bonino back for a couple years as well. I'm thinking somewhere between two years, $3.5M to $3.750M annually. Bonino is getting a hard time by some fans for whatever reason. I think for what he is, he's a good third line center for this team. He's good at keeping possession in the offensive zone, something Sutter struggled with. He's solid defensively, he's good on the PK. He's good for 12-15 goals a season and 30-40 points. That's all I ask from a third line center on this team. 

If it were up to me the lines next season would look like this.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary

Rust - Malkin - Kessel

Hagelin - Bonino - Hornqvist

Wilson - Rowney - Kuhnhackl

Letang - Dumoulin

Schultz - Cole

Pouliot - Daley

Murray

You can replace Pouliot with a decent free agent, honestly. I like Ruhwedel but I see him more as a 7th defenseman. I think those are four solid lines though, and defensively, the Penguins are fine. I think realistically though Daley is gone. I also think Schultz might be too expensive for the Penguins. If he wants more than $5.5M a season, then I don't want him re-signing to be honest. He's not worth that much.

#8 odiumutis

odiumutis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

I agree on everything besides Kunitz.

I like Chris Kunitz, he's played a lot better than I thought he would. That being said, he's going to be 38 years old before next season. He's won four Stanley Cups, three of them with the Penguins. He's been with this team for 8 years now, it's time to move on.

I appreciate everything he's done, he's just too slow for this team. I like the fact that he's still physical and he's definitely better than he was two years ago when people were asking his contract be bought out. He's not getting any younger though or faster. He's had a good run with this team, I could see another team giving him a chance but I think it's either a one year deal with the Penguins or retirement. I'd prefer retirement, then again that's not my decision. 

I'd personally re-sign Schultz to a four or five year deal, somewhere between $4.5M and $5M annually. Then work on a three or four year deal with Dumoulin worth $3.3M to $3.750M annually. I'd protect those two along with Letang and of course ten forwards and a goalie. I like Maatta, but he's been bad. He just gets caught flat-footed too many times and Schultz fits the team better in my opinion. Now there's a chance Maatta doesn't get picked up by Las Vegas, if so then I'd let Daley go (As good as he's been). If Maatta is picked up by Las Vegas, then I wouldn't mind see Daley back for one or two years at around $3.750M a season.

I'd like to see Bonino back for a couple years as well. I'm thinking somewhere between two years, $3.5M to $3.750M annually. Bonino is getting a hard time by some fans for whatever reason. I think for what he is, he's a good third line center for this team. He's good at keeping possession in the offensive zone, something Sutter struggled with. He's solid defensively, he's good on the PK. He's good for 12-15 goals a season and 30-40 points. That's all I ask from a third line center on this team. 

If it were up to me the lines next season would look like this.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary

Rust - Malkin - Kessel

Hagelin - Bonino - Hornqvist

Wilson - Rowney - Kuhnhackl

Letang - Dumoulin

Schultz - Cole

Pouliot - Daley

Murray

You can replace Pouliot with a decent free agent, honestly. I like Ruhwedel but I see him more as a 7th defenseman. I think those are four solid lines though, and defensively, the Penguins are fine. I think realistically though Daley is gone. I also think Schultz might be too expensive for the Penguins. If he wants more than $5.5M a season, then I don't want him re-signing to be honest. He's not worth that much.

Very good points and almost identical to my opinion. I just would re-sign Kuni for not more than $1.0M, but I hope he retires and gets some job in front office.

It is too early to predict the line-up for next season, as Las Vegas draft might change everything drastically. I still don't understand which players do not need protection from drafting because of the two year entry level or something? Anyway, I hope Bonino, Dumoulin, Schultz are back for the prices JRS gave. Actually, I really hope Schultz takes such salary (of course, if JR offers such), as having him would allow to have an absolutely decent Nr.2 defender playing on second pairing.

Nah, too much questions for today, probably it will be easier and more interesting to construct the line-up in a month.

#9 Hänkey

Hänkey

Never Forget 29

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • LocationInternational

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

I honestly think Daley would take a paycut to stay in Pittsburgh.

I'd like to keep Schultz.

I may be one of the few who still thinks Maattaa win turn into a solid player.

Having said all of that, as much as I've worried about the defence of this team for the last two years, it really doesn't seem to matter too much who's back there. As long as they all buy in, they seem to find a way to make it work.

NEVER FORGET 29 - GP: 691 / W: 375 / SHO: 44 / MIN: 39769 / GAA: 2.58 / SV%:.912

#10 Badger_Bob

Badger_Bob

<3 Judge Judy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

Maatta played better than many people gave him credit for.  He finished a +8 for the playoffs and a +17 for the season.  Obviously, +/- is not the end all be all stat, but it is a decent indicator.   Unfortunately for him, some of his gaffs stuck out like a sore thumb.  

"It's A Great Day For Hockey!!!"

Shut up kyl.

#11 BuffaloKnight

BuffaloKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

I honestly think Daley would take a paycut to stay in Pittsburgh.

I'd like to keep Schultz.

Having said all of that, as much as I've worried about the defence of this team for the last two years, it really doesn't seem to matter too much who's back there. As long as they all buy in, they seem to find a way to make it work.

The defensemen playing well without Letang during the remainder of the regular season and the Stanley Cup playoffs is a strong positive going forward.  This offseason is the best opportunity to reload and improve depth in defense.

#12 BuffaloKnight

BuffaloKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Maatta played better than many people gave him credit for.  He finished a +8 for the playoffs and a +17 for the season.  Obviously, +/- is not the end all be all stat, but it is a decent indicator.   Unfortunately for him, some of his gaffs stuck out like a sore thumb.  

Määttä has his issues he needs to resolve and his shortcomings to improve.

#13 Badger_Bob

Badger_Bob

<3 Judge Judy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

BTW, can we relish the Stanley Cup win before we get into the off season?  Sheesh!  JRS just chomping at the bit to list his potential linemates.

Shut up kyl.

#14 Hänkey

Hänkey

Never Forget 29

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • LocationInternational

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

It's going to be an interesting offseason Bob.

NEVER FORGET 29 - GP: 691 / W: 375 / SHO: 44 / MIN: 39769 / GAA: 2.58 / SV%:.912

#15 Badger_Bob

Badger_Bob

<3 Judge Judy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

It's going to be an interesting offseason Bob.

Yes it is.  But let's enjoy the parade before some of these guys leave, OK?

Shut up kyl.

#16 kyl

kyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,098 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

What if some of the guys are traded before the parade, Bob?

Grunt stole me.

I saw a lady throwing up blood on the side walk today in downtown... And I thought that was the worst thing I'd see all day and then this post happened.

#17 Badger_Bob

Badger_Bob

<3 Judge Judy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

What if some of the guys are traded before the parade, Bob?

Well we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it, yes?  Amirite??  

Shut up kyl.

#18 kyl

kyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,098 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Sure are a lot of bridges in Pittsburgh, Bob. 

Grunt stole me.

I saw a lady throwing up blood on the side walk today in downtown... And I thought that was the worst thing I'd see all day and then this post happened.

#19 Badger_Bob

Badger_Bob

<3 Judge Judy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Sure are a lot of bridges in Pittsburgh, Bob. 

Why yes kyl, yes there are.  They are bridges of friendship.  They are the threads that weave us together.

Shut up kyl.

#20 Hänkey

Hänkey

Never Forget 29

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • LocationInternational

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

That will be a little weird. When is the parade Bob? Will it be before Sunday?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users