Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

Photo

Once again.....no offense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#41 Crosby87Crosby

Crosby87Crosby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

I can't stand Dupie on Sid's line. He's not good enough, isn't fast enough and can't handle when Sid makes one of his great passes. They spend so much money on defense, they continue to neglect wingers to help Sid, and that's a crime. I would love to see Comrie with Sid, but of course, DB has to keep the fragile ego of Malkin in check, so he gets the better wingers. Unless they get better play out of MAF, which I doubt we'll see because I just don't think he's a top goalie, this could be an interesting season. I was pissed when I saw that a lot of the media picked the Pens to finish no higher than 6 in the East, but maybe they knew things we don't.

As for the PP, we all thought it was Yeo, but maybe we were too hard on the man. The PP is now being handled by DB, so I'm wondering how good a coach DB really is?

#42 M_i_B

M_i_B

Awful Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

Just another in a long line...couldn't even give the guys a chance to get at least 1 point.

He gave them plenty of chances by playing solid until the tail end of the game. If the offense could score more it wouldn't be an issue. As I said, though, it'll take a few games for them to gel after all the turn around.

They were looking really sharp in the third period, like things were starting to click. They'll be better, much better.

#43 Stoneyman

Stoneyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

Just another in a long line...couldn't even give the guys a chance to get at least 1 point.

I thinks it peculiar that the Pens run into every HOT goalie in the league. But yet, MAF kinda always seems to be p1ss warm.

MAF needs punched!

#44 zigzag66

zigzag66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

What a terrible ending thought they would get it.

#45 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

That by far is the biggest problem with this teams offense. No one wants to shoot the puck. Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turnover, puck goes the other way, soft goal allowed by Fleury. LMAO! Thats about all I can do anymore. Have a gut feeling that this might be a long season. Hope to God I am wrong! Time to bring Tommy Barrasso out of retirement. lol.

There is no Mike Yeo to blame this season. I just can't understand why they have to make the perfect play. Is that how they practice it? Do they expect every goal to be the tic-tac-toe banger? You put pucks on the net, good things happen.

#46 87rocks

87rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

How are they gonna pay Souray? The guys just need to put the puck on the net, stop looking for the perfect pass and perfect goal.

Maybe he will come cheap if no one picks him up..can also make a trade to dump some salary! Offense couldn't get any worse....wingers,wingers,winger in dire need of a top talent.

#47 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

I was pleased with the effort of Tangradi and Letestu, at least that's something.

#48 WizardofSid

WizardofSid

Expert Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Game 1
1st: Briere Deflection from a blistering point pass.
2nd: Deflection knocks the puck down, no way to control the rebound.
3rd: Brutal Letang drop pass to opponent for a break away.
NOTE: Fleury failed at a poke-check on Briere who missed the net, but had and insane save on Carter point blank.

Game 2:
1st: Fake short into a fake wrap around, Fleury loses the puck and position. This goal was questionable
2nd: Puck is double deflection past Fleury (not sure if Orpik interfered with Fleury's movement).
3rd: Gomez, forced wide by a d-man puts a puck edgewise through Fleury's 5-whole. Fleury didn't get his stick in position despite knowing the puck was coming shortside. Soft.

#49 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Maybe he will come cheap if no one picks him up..can also make a trade to dump some salary! Offense couldn't get any worse....wingers,wingers,winger in dire need of a top talent.

Souray is a defensmen...I really haven't seen where d is the issue. Not to mention that he is a -52 for his career, I'll pass.

#50 jengo

jengo

we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-b

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

There is no Mike Yeo to blame this season. I just can't understand why they have to make the perfect play. Is that how they practice it? Do they expect every goal to be the tic-tac-toe banger? You put pucks on the net, good things happen.

Its interesting that the "perfect play" issue has plagued this team for as long as I can remember. Lemieux and Jagr always played that way but they were the masters at playing that kind of game. The NHL is so differant now that that kind of approach just doesn't work anymore.

#51 87rocks

87rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

I was pleased with the effort of Tangradi and Letestu, at least that's something.

I agree!

#52 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Btw schedule makers...thanks for giving us the ECF champions, the ECF runner-ups and the division winner to start the season :P

#53 87rocks

87rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Souray is a defensmen...I really haven't seen where d is the issue. Not to mention that he is a -52 for his career, I'll pass.

Agree the defense has been great..but talking about the big accurate shot on the PP..it's early but this appears it might be a big issue this season..other than maybe Martin...

#54 87rocks

87rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Btw schedule makers...thanks for giving us the ECF champions, the ECF runner-ups and the division winner to start the season :P

That was then..this is now..it shouldn't matter...management needs to take off the wingers blinders!

#55 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Agree the defense has been great..but talking about the big accurate shot on the PP..it's early but this appears it might be a big issue this season..other than maybe Martin...

I do agree with the accuracy. Could GoGo or Letang at least get near the net. What the worst part of it is, they miss retardly bad and it hits the boards and shoots out of the zone. Crosy looked rather crappy with the accuracy also.

#56 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

That was then..this is now..it shouldn't matter...management needs to take off the wingers blinders!

What do you mean by wingers blinders? Do ya mean they didn't sign any wingers? The salary is tied up in the middle. Crosby, Malkin, and Staal don't come cheap. The FO decided to fix the defense, the best plan IMO with the departure of Gonchar and Fleury's ineptitude. I believe that Comrie will be the steal of the FA signings. But let's not forget that Staal is out for a bit, I think that really messed up the plans for this season. I still don't understand how he couldn't be ready for the start of the season. Seems like he didn't take care of himself to avoid the infection or whatever is going on.

#57 washcaps008

washcaps008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

truth be told, when you get a wide open chance like Crosby had, and you don't hit the back of the net and allow a goalie in price's calibre to save it, well, you know last years 50 goals was a fluke!!

sup people, ovy had 2 goals and 1 assist...plus 2.

against the devils, you guys play them next, lets see how you guys do against them next game, ps: Brodeur was pulled for the 3rd period.

#58 crosby2malkin

crosby2malkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

truth be told, when you get a wide open chance like Crosby had, and you don't hit the back of the net and allow a goalie in price's calibre to save it, well, you know last years 50 goals was a fluke!!

sup people, ovy had 2 goals and 1 assist...plus 2.

against the devils, you guys play them next, lets see how you guys do against them next game, ps: Brodeur was pulled for the 3rd period.

AHHH...the trolls have arrived. Oh, and to fill you in on something I'm sure you don't know...Brodeur has a 2.57 career GAA against the Pens, second only to the Canucks at 2.91.

#59 WizardofSid

WizardofSid

Expert Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

Brodeur allowed 5 goals on 20 shots and then the Moose had the ugliest turnover possible. Maybe the pens won't run into a "hot" goalie then.

The frustration comes from the fact the the problem are not where they would be acceptable. If the defense didn't look sharp with 3 new guys that would make sense. Drop off in 3rd line production due to Staal being injured, or inconsistency with young players would also be "okay." But the defense has looked good. Letestu and Tangradi have been good.

The problems are a goalie who seems to have trouble when not facing a ton of shots and the powerplay. The 2 goals in the 3rd came right after a stretch of the pens pinning the Habs in their own zone. And the offense's excuse is what? Game 1, Pronger didn't play and a rookie started in net. Game 2, Markov and Hamrlik are out and the Pen get 2 4-on-3s and a total of 6 PP.

#60 M_i_B

M_i_B

Awful Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

You're an idiot.

CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark