SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
The Official Web Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Pens e-News Service Twitter Icon Facebook Icon SMS Icon Pens Mobile App Icon PensTV Icon YouTube Icon Pinterest Icon Pens e-News Service
Pittsburgh Penguins Message Board

Photo

Alumni Game will not be televised ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Please excuse me if this has been posted already.

I just wanted to state for a newbie hockey fan, this is very dissapointing. I just started watching hockey about 3 years ago, never played (unfortunately), and never got into the sport as a kid. But have really enjoyed the newer version of the game, and the culture of hockey more than anything.

An event like this would be great for fans like me, who don't know about the history of the game, and more specifically the history of the team.

Also, what the heck else is the NHL network going to have on at 9:30am in the morning ? Seems like a huge missed opportunity to me.

Whomever is going, be sure to have a great time.

Happy Holidays!

#2 steiggyloveserrey

steiggyloveserrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Please excuse me if this has been posted already.

I just wanted to state for a newbie hockey fan, this is very dissapointing. I just started watching hockey about 3 years ago, never played (unfortunately), and never got into the sport as a kid. But have really enjoyed the newer version of the game, and the culture of hockey more than anything.

An event like this would be great for fans like me, who don't know about the history of the game, and more specifically the history of the team.

Also, what the heck else is the NHL network going to have on at 9:30am in the morning ? Seems like a huge missed opportunity to me.

Whomever is going, be sure to have a great time.

Happy Holidays!

They're televising the 2011 WJC game.
We were utterly shocked to see professional sports players who we absolutely love, to just ignore us and look right at us and drive through the gates... I always thought that the fans are the important factor in sports, but apparently the Penguins are too snobby to stop and put a smile on the fans face

#3 Shibboeth

Shibboeth

Not Living Up To My Contract

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

They are showing a 30 part documentary about the Oilers.

#4 steiggyloveserrey

steiggyloveserrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

They are showing a 30 part documentary about the Oilers.

That's pretty much every day.
We were utterly shocked to see professional sports players who we absolutely love, to just ignore us and look right at us and drive through the gates... I always thought that the fans are the important factor in sports, but apparently the Penguins are too snobby to stop and put a smile on the fans face

#5 WizardofSid

WizardofSid

Expert Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

I just don't get how the NHL continues to be so terrible about marketing itself. Seems like they don't want the Alumni Game to overshadow the Winter Classic (though doing a 2nd Winter Classic this year is considered okay). So having an event bigger than the biggest season event (not post-season mind you) is seen as being bad? Or only selling 10k seats when they could clearly sell more.

This is American damnit - give the people what they want.

#6 kirkyrt

kirkyrt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

The Alumni game will be broadcast on Jan 5 at 6:30pm EST on the NHL Network.

#7 la_guin

la_guin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Well, I'll be there. I'll tell you all about it.
Bingo!

or more likely, Dallas.

#8 ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

They're televising the 2011 WJC game.

Thanks for you input.

:)

#9 VodkaAce

VodkaAce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

no Cable channel is going to want to cover a bunch of 40 plus year old former hockey players playing a pick up game.
Even if Mario the great is playing.

#10 steiggyloveserrey

steiggyloveserrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for you input.

:)

no problem **********
;)

Founding Partners CONSOL Energy Center CONSOL ENERGY PNC Wealth Management UPMC FedEx Ground Verizon Dick's Sporting Goods 84 Lumber American Eagle Outfitters Highmark